Permanent Job Vacancy for a Regional Geochemist
Job Vacancy for a Regional Geochemist
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Job Type: Permanent
Company/Employer: Anglo American
Job Title: Regional Geochemist
Reference Id: REF5102J
Closing Date: 03 January, 2021
The major role of this position is to apply world class geochemistry methods, within multi-disciplinary teams, in support of the discovery and definition of superior value mineral resources.
- To act as a role model and reinforce a workplace culture where safety and health for the site is paramount.
- To provide an environment for on-site discipline to challenge and act on unsafe behaviors without repercussions.
- To apply world class geochemistry methods, in support of the discovery, definition and exploitation of superior value mineral resources.
- A good understanding of relevant mineral systems and their geochemistry (e.g. porphyry copper deposits, magmatic Ni-PGE, and sediment hosted base metals.
- To lead the geochemistry component of the discovery field programs in the region.
- To apply advanced geochemical discovery tools in litho geochemistry, mineral chemistry, hydro geochemistry, biogeochemistry etc.
- To integrate large and diverse geochemical and mineralogical data sets, with thorough scientific based interpretations, to give step changes in mapping and understanding mineral systems, with identification of superior value targets.
- To manage the process to produce the right geochemical and mineralogical data for effective Discovery decision making and project prioritization.
- To support the process that provides geochemical data that supports a fully integrated interpretation in 2D map space and 3D data models that encompasses all available Geosciences data for area selection and target definition.
- To support compliance with environmental and social requirements as relevant to discipline, including commitments to stakeholders.
- To contribute to a purpose-led, high-performing culture within the team that is aligned with the company values, is inclusive and promotes diversity.
- Must have Honors Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Geosciences.
- Must have Post Grad/Masters is highly desirable particularly in Geochemistry.
Knowledge and Skills
- Must have broad understanding of geology and mineral discovery
- Must have good knowledge of key mineral systems (porphyry copper deposits, magmatic Ni-PGE, Sediment hosted Cu), with a special focus on geochemical mapping proxies for critical processes.
- Application of regolith landscape dynamics and surface geochemistry methods (soils, stream sediment, till etc.).
- Application of advanced geochemical discovery tools in litho geochemistry, mineral chemistry, hydro geochemistry, and biogeochemistry.
- Working with people on field with datasets, developing insights.
- Exploration, multi-commodity experience.
- Must have good knowledge of geochemical and mineralogical laboratory analysis methods
- Must have knowledge of QA/QC practices
- Must have competency in geochemical software (I/O-Gas or similar); GIS software (ArcGIS or similar); 3D modelling (leapfrog or similar); and, geochemical data-base (acQuire or similar).
727 total views, 4 today